Renew Your Tabs

You can renew tabs for your car or boat in three convenient ways: in person, by mail, and online. You can also have someone register your vehicle for you on your behalf if certain requirements are met. If you are new to Washington state, know that you have 30 days to title and register your vehicle. Auburn License Agency, Inc. is here to help.

In Person

Visit us at our location, 124 Auburn Way N Auburn, WA 98002. We are open Mon-Fri 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM and Sat 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM. We will need your vehicle plate number or VIN number to access your vehicle account. It would be helpful if you have your Vehicle Renewal Notice on hand. You will also need a valid Photo ID. Please call us if you have any questions. Our number is 253-833-9696.

By Mail

Please call first at 253-833-9696. We want to make sure you have everything you need and to give you the correct total for the tabs. Our mailing address is 124 Auburn Way N Auburn, WA 98002.


You may renew your tabs online by clicking the following buttons. If you process your online renewal by 3:00pm, while we are open, it will be mailed out that day otherwise it will be mailed the next business day. When you process your renewal, please remember to select our location. We appreciate your business.

Registering a Vehicle On a Loved One's Behalf

If someone else is renewing your vehicle on your behalf, we require:
  • A copy of the registered owner's ID.
  • A signed note from the registered owner.
    • Must specify the vehicle by year, make, model and plate number
    • Must specify you as a person authorized to renew the vehicle
    • Must be paid for with cash, or a check issued from the registered owner

More Information

Purchased a New or Used Vehicle?

All vehicles that will be used on public roads within the State of Washington must be licensed. If you purchase your car, truck, camper, motor home or other vehicle from a Washington dealer, the dealer should transfer the title for you.
If you purchase your vehicle from a private party, you will need to transfer the title yourself within 15 days.

What will I need?

  • The title properly released by all registered and or legal owner(s)
  • Documentation of the purchase price, bill of sale and/or gift statement.
  • Federal odometer statement on vehicles less than 10 years old
  • A current emission test that is no more than 1 year old may be required
  • Certain specialty cases may require additional documents
  • Washington Driver's License
  • Cash, check or money order
  • We accept most credit & debits cards with an additional fee
PLEASE NOTE: Washington-titled vehicles must be registered within fifteen (15) days after purchase date to avoid penalty fees. A $50 penalty is charged on the 16th day with an additional $2.00 charge each day thereafter until a maximum amount of $125 penalty is reached. After 45 days of not transferring, it's considered a misdemeanor.

Emissions Testing

If your vehicle is between 5 years through 25 years old you will need an emissions test every two years for tab renewal. When doing a title transfer, a vehicle 1991 – 2008 will need a current emissions test that has been taken within the last calendar year. Find out if your car needs an emissions test by clicking the button below.

Renewal Reminders By Email

If you would like to receive your renewal notices for your vehicle or vessel by email, click on the button below to sign up. If you do sign up to receive your notice by email, then you will not receive one in the mail. If your email changes after you have signed up, you will then need to update your email on each vehicle or vessel that you own.
Contact Us about licensing your car or boat with the state of Washington today!